How to say "I recently learned how to speak Japanese" in Japanese? is it:

watashi wa hanasemashita nihongo koto ga saikin manabimasu

or

watashi wa nihongo hanasemashita koto ga saikin manabimasu

or Something else?

I can't read kanji so please, if you answer please don't use kanji.

Edit:Also, can someone tell me why saikin is before nihongo and not before naraimashita in the first answer to my question?

closed as off-topic by Flaw Aug 15 '16 at 13:24

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "Questions asking for translations, transcriptions or proofreading are off-topic unless prior research effort is clearly indicated; we're here to help you learn, not to provide a bulk translation service nor to proofread your translations or transcriptions. See: We don't do translations." – Flaw
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

<(I can't read kanji> I understand your situation, but I highly recommend you study kanji. Reading hiragana-only sentences is indeed a nightmare even for native speakers. – eltonjohn Jul 6 '15 at 2:36
  • i would have probably used ばかり – Steven Jul 6 '15 at 6:03
    偽善じゃない?  If you can't say that, have you really learned how to speak Japanese? – istrasci Jul 6 '15 at 16:26

Passing judgement about your own Japanese skills while talking with a Japanese native speaker is a little strange. I'd recommend:

"日本語{にほんご}ができるようになっている気{き}がしています。"

(1) "気{き}がしています" adds the meaning that your opinion about your Japanese skills is yours alone.

(2) The present continuous tense "~~になっている" adds the meaning that you think that you are on the path to becoming good, but are not quite there yet.

(3) If you want to stress your conversational skills, as opposed to your holistic skill, this might be preferred:
"日常会話{にちじょうかいわ}ができるようになっている気{き}がしています。"

I would say 私{わたし}は最{さい}近{きん}、日{に}本{ほん}語{ご}会{かい}話{わ}を習{なら}いました, or 私{わたし}は最{さい}近{きん}、日{に}本{ほん}語{ご}の話{はな}し方{かた}を習{なら}いました.

Remark:

私 = I

最近 = recently

日本語 = Japanese

会話 = conversation

習う = to learn

話し方 = how to speak

"I recently learned how to speak Japanese."

I would translate this differently depending on what the message you wish to convey.

"Watashi ha saikin, nihongo wo manandeimashita." <- Lately, I have been studying Japanese.

"Nihongo wo hanaseru you ni natta no ha saikin deshita." <- It was only recently that I become capable of speaking in Japanese.

By 'how to speak in Japanese', do you mean the speech mannerisms, phonetics, or general ability to speak the language?

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.