Learning adjectives, I knew there are two major groups of adjectives い and だ. I am wondering, which group has more adjectives?

I don't have source but the だ group is more productive because it can convert virtually all the nouns into an adjective. – user4092 Jul 5 '15 at 2:36
    The い group has been handed down to us from the antiquity, while many of the だ group adjectives are formulated from nouns, as @user4092 remarked. I don't know which is the majority, as I have never counted. But I guess the だ group eventually outnumbers the い group. – eltonjohn Jul 5 '15 at 4:20

na/-no adjectives in total seem to outnumber -i adjectives.

Values retrieved from WWWJDIC dictionary file:

i-Adjectives: 2895, 268 of which is listed as a "common word";
na-Adjectives: 6759, 1425 of which is listed as a "common word";
no-Adjectives: 10832, 2799 of which is listed as a "common word".

Probably because of how, like user4092 mentioned, the na-no group can virtually convert all nouns into "adjectives".

• wow, you seriously don't need to hit jisho.org to get this data. You can get it for free from Jim Breen (csse.monash.edu.au/~jwb/wwwjdicinf.html) – virmaior Jul 6 '15 at 7:59
  • nice, thanks for referring me to that. I'll parse through that again and update my numbers. – chesnutcase Jul 6 '15 at 8:21

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.