I've been reading a manga and there was a sentence:

無駄にコマから出てくるな

Can someone tell me what does it mean?

I know exactly what it means, but as a rule here, you would need to provide your own attempt first. – l'électeur Jul 3 '15 at 23:28
    コマ amounts to the illustration together with the frame surrounding it. Does this help? – eltonjohn Jul 4 '15 at 2:09
  • I'm sorry @l'électeur, I'm new here. I still have a problem with understanding this sentence. I thought that maybe it means something like: it's waste of illustration so don't show yourself. – yasuko9075 Jul 4 '15 at 17:45
  • @l'électeur could you point me in the direction of where this rule is written? – sova Jul 10 '15 at 13:54
    @sova here – oals Jul 14 '15 at 12:40

As the question still is open, I'll try to answer it.

Your attempt,

it's waste of illustration so don't show yourself.

is very much off.

1. This is the 'pensive' or 'monologue' な, not the imperative な

• On second thought, this is debatable. I originally took the sentence to be something the mangaka wrote, criticising his/her own style.
  2. コマ means 'frame (of a comic)'

3. This is the particle から ('from'), not 〜だから ('because')

4. Do check the dictionary for 出る (and/or 出てくる). Here it means 'to come out'

5. 'Waste of xxx' is typically 「xxxの無駄」

無駄に, when used this way, means 'pointlessly' or 'for no purpose'

A correct answer would be (if we consider it to be the pensive な),

[something] is coming out of the comic frame for no good reason

'Something' here, I presume, is referring to whatever is in the frame that is sticking out.

If we take it as a command, it's

Don't stick out of the comic for no reason!

"Don't stick out of the frame pointlessly" or "Don't stick out of the frame so much."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.