Here is the conversation that includes the word.

A: そんな つめてえこといわないで...
  ひと目{め}でいいんスよ ほんのちょいとあうだけでいいんだから

B: だめっていったら だめーっ

And I'm curious why the syllable 「ス」 in the word has to be written in katakana?

ス in this case is a colloquial shortening of です.

I think the reason people write it with Katakana is that it makes it easier to tell that's a new word rather than んす being a typographical error for something else.

If you look for っす you can find entries that explain that this is a [丁寧]{ていねい} colloquialism (http://www.weblio.jp/content/%E3%81%A3%E3%81%99). Our fearless moderator points out that the small-つ is probably avoided due to "superheavy syllable" it creates.

I decode the sentences as follows:

A: そんな冷たいことを言わないで、一目でいいんですよ。

• <A: そのような冷たいことを言わないで、一目でいいんですよ。> might be marginally better. Oh BTW.. <I'm trying to find a Japanese source about the ス> Is that worth pursuing? As long as your guess is correct, you don't necessarily have to locate any "evidence" for a mere colloquialism. – eltonjohn Jul 2 '15 at 7:49
    I don't think whether it's a colloquialism makes any difference in terms of documentability. @virmaior I think it's often ッス, but っ is avoided after ん because it creates a superheavy syllable. You might try searching for っす or ッス instead. – snailboat Jul 2 '15 at 7:54
  • @eltonjohn as an answerer (and for my own sake as a non-native speaker), I like to source things just as good practice -- in case the OP wants to confirm or understand further how something works. – virmaior Jul 2 '15 at 8:14
  • @virmaior: <I like to source things just as good practice> Alright, I got it. Please understand that I did not intend to discourage your inquiring mind. – eltonjohn Jul 2 '15 at 12:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.