I am trying to translate some text, but I hit a sentence that I could not understand completely.

悪いんだがここ片付けといてくれ

From what I read up to now, this means something like "This place is in bad shape. Clean it." roughly speaking, but I am having trouble understanding the 片付けといてくれ part. jisho.org simplifies it to 片付けて, but there seems to be so much lost in this simplification. What exactly does this extra part mean?

Are you familiar with 〜ておく? – snailcar Jun 30 '15 at 5:33
  • @snailboat It means some thing like "going to", right? Like in an uncertain future. – Douglas Vanny Jun 30 '15 at 5:38
    悪いんだが = sorry to trouble you but. 片付けといてくれ = 片付け + て + おい + て + くれ, and くれ is a casual (and somewhat curt) form of ください (= please). Thus 悪いんだがここ片付けといてくれ = would you mind cleaning up this place (while I am out)? – eltonjohn Jun 30 '15 at 6:02
    悪いんだが = sorry to trouble you and といてくれ = would you mind ? great keigo usage. – oldergod Jun 30 '15 at 8:34
    @oldergod ふふふ 職場でそのまま使っちゃたらやば~いww – Chocolate Jun 30 '15 at 16:40

I would like to wrap up.

〜しておく = (be sure) to do 〜

悪いんだが (<- 悪い + の + だ + が)= sorry to trouble you but

片付けといてくれ = 片付け + て + おい (<- おく) + て + くれ

where くれ is a casual (and somewhat curt) form of ください (= please).

Thus, together

悪いんだがここ片付けといてくれ = would you mind cleaning up this place (while I am out)?

But the original phrase sounds much less polite. So I would suggest "Mind cleaning up this place, will ya? (Coz I wanna go out.)"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.