Consider the following pairs,

• can hear: 聞ける (the potential of 聞く) and 聞こえる
  • can see: 見られる (the potential of 見る) and 見える

I am interested to know the etymologies of how some words have explicit potential forms while other words do not have. What are their purposes? I think it is redundant.

Bonus

Is there any terminology used to refer to words having explicit potential sense?

Strictly speaking, 聞こえる and 見える are 自発(spontaneous)動詞, not 可能(potential)動詞. – Chocolate Jul 1 '15 at 7:31

見える and 聞こえる come from classical forms 見ゆ and 聞こゆ. These potentials would be natural to those verbs, but they've survived past the originals' death.

I'm not sure what you mean by 'natural to those verbs'. I would say that they used to be applicable to all verbs and no longer are. – Sjiveru Jun 28 '15 at 20:47
    I mean, /miyu/ would logically have potential /miyeru/, and since there's no /ye/ it's /mieru/. – Aeon Akechi Jul 17 '15 at 22:50
  • 見える came from 見ゆる, which is the attributive form of 見ゆ, not the potential. – user4092 Jul 29 '15 at 3:27
  • @user4092, Shogakukan's 国語大辞典's entry for 見える gives a derivation from 見ゆ, not 見ゆる. 見ゆ is described as the 自発形 of 見る. – Eiríkr Útlendi Feb 7 '16 at 2:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.