I'm confused by all the different of fonts that can be used to learn to write Hiragana (e.g. the end loop of き may be closed or not). I understand that it is usually related to the difference between print and handwriting style, but after all my research I still don't know which handwriting font is really used by kids in schools when they learn Hiragana. I mean when teachers are creating handwriting worksheets - which font are they using ? Thanks for your advices.

  • @naruto A typography question! *searching for a "Leave open" button* @ Pierre Did you know there's something called 教科書体 (picture)
    – Earthliŋ
    Jun 26, 2015 at 11:35
  • @Earthliŋ Thanks ! No, I didn't know this. It looks that in all countries (I mean even in West countries) there is a lot of variations about how to learn to write characters - at least in Japan, strokes order seems to be always the same !
    – Pierre
    Jun 29, 2015 at 7:57

1 Answer 1


The font is called 「[教科書体]{きょうかしょたい}」, literally, the "Textbook Font".

enter image description here

  • Thanks @l'électeur - so it is used for text book, but is it used to learn to trace characters as well ? Just want to be sure because it seems that some simplifications are done when kids learn to draw/trace characters . In particular, I mean the "wavy" start of the letters (coming from calligraphy I imagine) seems to be not used sometimes (eg for ん, the first stoke can be just a straight line and not begin with a small angle).
    – Pierre
    Jun 29, 2015 at 8:39
  • 2
    For example, I found this PDF to learn to trace characters and it has not the wavy starts[link] (japanese-lesson.com/resources/pdf/…)
    – Pierre
    Jun 29, 2015 at 8:54
  • I know this is years late, but it really doesn't seem to answer Pierre's question. This is not a font you would use to learn how to handwrite.
    – Mark S.
    Nov 25, 2017 at 2:23
  • @MarkS. If not 教科書体, what font is used to teach kids to write Hiragana in Japanese primary school?
    – chocolate
    Nov 25, 2017 at 4:30
  • 1
    @Chocolate Something simpler looking, like the one linked in Pierre's comment, or the one at happylilac.net/hiragana_nazorigaki2015.html I don't know what this is called so all I can do is wait for someone to post another answer.
    – Mark S.
    Nov 25, 2017 at 4:34

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .