I'm confused by all the different of fonts that can be used to learn to write Hiragana (e.g. the end loop of き may be closed or not). I understand that it is usually related to the difference between print and handwriting style, but after all my research I still don't know which handwriting font is really used by kids in schools when they learn Hiragana. I mean when teachers are creating handwriting worksheets - which font are they using ? Thanks for your advices.

• @naruto A typography question! *searching for a "Leave open" button* @ Pierre Did you know there's something called 教科書体 (picture) – Earthliŋ Jun 26 '15 at 11:35
  • @Earthliŋ Thanks ! No, I didn't know this. It looks that in all countries (I mean even in West countries) there is a lot of variations about how to learn to write characters - at least in Japan, strokes order seems to be always the same ! – Pierre Jun 29 '15 at 7:57

The font is called 「[教科書体]{きょうかしょたい}」, literally, the "Textbook Font".

enter image description here

• Thanks @l'électeur - so it is used for text book, but is it used to learn to trace characters as well ? Just want to be sure because it seems that some simplifications are done when kids learn to draw/trace characters . In particular, I mean the "wavy" start of the letters (coming from calligraphy I imagine) seems to be not used sometimes (eg for ん, the first stoke can be just a straight line and not begin with a small angle). – Pierre Jun 29 '15 at 8:39
    For example, I found this PDF to learn to trace characters and it has not the wavy starts[link] (japanese-lesson.com/resources/pdf/…) – Pierre Jun 29 '15 at 8:54
  • I know this is years late, but it really doesn't seem to answer Pierre's question. This is not a font you would use to learn how to handwrite. – Mark S. Nov 25 '17 at 2:23
  • @MarkS. If not 教科書体, what font is used to teach kids to write Hiragana in Japanese primary school? – Chocolate Nov 25 '17 at 4:30
  • @Chocolate Something simpler looking, like the one linked in Pierre's comment, or the one at happylilac.net/hiragana_nazorigaki2015.html I don't know what this is called so all I can do is wait for someone to post another answer. – Mark S. Nov 25 '17 at 4:34

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.