I found myself wanting to write something analogous to "if you want (some する verb) done to you"

I know the passive form of する is される.

I know that the volitional form of an ichidan verb is stem + たい. This brings me to されたい.

I know that the ば form of an い adjective drops the い and adds ければ. Hence: されたければ.

Whew. I looked this up on Google and found over 41,000 results, but that seems low for what I would assume would be an extremely common construction. My hypothesis then is that this is grammatically correct, but unnatural in most cases.

Is there a more natural way to construct the meaning of "if you want something done to you" in the general case?

• The volitional form is not the ~たい form. Where did you hear this? The volitional form of verbs ([意志形]{い・し・けい}) is the ~う・~よう form, like 行こう, 食べよう, などなど. – istrasci Jun 26 '15 at 2:39

"if you want (some する verb) done to you"

As the other answerer says I think you can use 「して欲しければ」. There are a few variations:

尊敬して欲しければ
尊敬して欲しいなら
尊敬して欲しいのなら
尊敬して欲しかったら ← casual
(These are more literally like "If you want (me/someone/others) to respect you")

Of course you can also use 「されたければ...」, which is literally like "If you want to be (done~~)". There are a few variations:

尊敬されたければ
尊敬されたいなら
尊敬されたいのなら
尊敬されたかったら ← casual
(Lit. "If you want to be respected")

As a side note, されてほしい would be "want (someone) to be (done~~)." For example:

もっと評価されて欲しい作家 A writer that I want to be more highly regarded
早く逮捕されて欲しい I want (someone) to be arrested quickly

"if you want something done to you" can be translated into "もしsomethingをして欲{ほ}しければ".

• Thanks, I'm a little bit puzzled about why it wouldn't be されて欲しければ but am prepared to take it for granted. – Aurast Jun 26 '15 at 2:21
  • されて欲しければis syntactically correct but means "want something done to someone else" whereas OP is asking about wanting something done to yourself. – dainichi Jun 26 '15 at 12:12
  • On second thought, I think されて欲しければ is usually used as indicated by @Choko in her append above. – eltonjohn Jun 26 '15 at 12:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.