The sentence is from a Japanese telling of Hansel and Gretel and I know enough to read it as "Leave your children in the forest before it is too late."

What I don't understand here is how すてる has been modified by きておくれ. What does that き relate to? Is it part of すててき to change (discard) somehow or is it something like (leave)(come here)(without delay)?

• Please see japanese.stackexchange.com/questions/676/… and the linked questions on the right hand side. – Earthliŋ Jun 25 '15 at 22:11
  • おくれ here is not related to 遅れる【おくれる】 "to be late", but rather to the imperative くれ (similar to ください) prefixed with honorific お-. See also: japanese.stackexchange.com/q/13334 – senshin Jun 25 '15 at 22:14
  • @Earthliŋ I have no idea what I'm looking for on that link. Can't see how いく maps to きて. – Simon Gill Jun 25 '15 at 22:28
  • @senshin So if おくれ is the imperative, what does きて mean? – Simon Gill Jun 25 '15 at 22:29
  • @SimonGill すててきて is parsed as [す]{捨}てて + [き]{来}て and we have a bunch of questions about this structure, so I linked it here in case you're interested. すててくる literally means something like "go throw away and come back", so as per the question senshin linked すててきておくれ "Please go and cast [our children] away (and then come back)" – Earthliŋ Jun 25 '15 at 22:37

As per the comments, you should parse すててきておくれ as すてて + きて + おくれ.

• Without changing the content or function you can replace おくれ by ください (more about おくれ here)、

• すてて is the te-form of すてる (here) "to cast away",

• きて is the te-form of くる "to come [back]",

• Xてくる is a common construction of saying "to go, do X [and then return]", but as indicated you might not necessarily translate the くる as "return"

• Xてください is the construction for phrasing a request "Please do X"

すてて + きて + ください
Please go cast away [the children] [and come back when you're done]

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.