Is it possible to use 持{も}っていく with people? Or is another verb used for taking people to places? For example: 毎日学校に妹を持っていく

I guess you can say 毎日学校に妹を持っていく if you like, but it sounds pejorative (you look treating your sister like a thing rather than a living human being.) We usually say 毎日学校に妹を連(つ)れていく. – eltonjohn Jun 23 '15 at 15:16
  • 連れていくis the best choice in this situation.. – RajSharma Jun 24 '15 at 0:11
  • If 連れて行く is only used for people of lower status which words apply to people of equal and of higher status? – Rudy the Reindeer Jun 25 '15 at 0:33

You cannot 持っていく to mean bringing someone somewhere. It's only used when talking about objects, hence the literal meaning "hold and go".

If you want to say "to take someone somewhere", you should either some form of 連れる{つれる}, like 連れていく, or 送る. Keep in mind though that 連れていく is only for bringing people of lower status.

毎日学校に妹を連れていく

• < 連れていく is only for bringing people of lower status.> I don't think so. Don't you say 「両親を(海外旅行に, say) 連れていく」? – eltonjohn Jun 24 '15 at 10:48
    Out if curiosity, could you use it if you were literally carrying someone away? – Eric Jun 24 '15 at 19:17
    "carry someone away" >> I'd say 「連れ去る」。。。 (「連行する」って、警察みたい。。。)」 – Chocolate Jun 25 '15 at 9:26
    @eltonjohn じゃ、警察以外の人(誘拐犯など)が小さな子どもをcarry awayする場合も意味はnegativeですが、「連行する」が使える? – Chocolate Jun 27 '15 at 5:10
    「幼女が何者かに carry away されて遺体で発見された。」の場合はどうするんですか。犯人が捕まっていなくて、目撃者もいなかったら、拉致されたか誘拐されたか、わからないですよね? – Chocolate Jun 29 '15 at 15:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.