As Japanese houses commonly have higher floor, the verb 上がる (go up) is appropriate, I think.

How about non-Japanese houses in which the floor has the same level? Is the phrase うちに上がる still compatible?

One more question, is it ok to use うちに入る instead of うちに上がる ?

• I guess うちに上がる has the connotation of "getting into the house" regardless of the architectural style of the building. Of course others may well have other opinions. – eltonjohn Jun 23 '15 at 15:11
  • I guess うちに入る has a slightly different flavour: the emphasis is on the action of "going in" rather than "getting in because invited/asked to do so." Here again, others may have other opinions. – eltonjohn Jun 23 '15 at 15:38
    One difference occurs to me: You can say 上がって to someone who's standing in the 玄関, but usually only 入って to someone who's outside. – dainichi Jun 23 '15 at 16:22

I would still use 「[上]{あ}がる」 even if I moved to a basement or tepee tomorrow. I cannot speak for other Japanese-speakers but I myself do not really think of "going up" when I say 「[家]{いえ}に上がる」 even though the floor of my home is over 40 centimeters (two steps!) higher than the "genkan" = "entrance".

If I used 「家に[入]{はい}る」, I would feel as if I were a thief entering a house without removing my shoes. As a resident or guest, I would always use 「上がる」.

I might also add that even in the latest wheelchair-accessible condominiums with no elevated floor, people still use 「上がる」.

But who knows? A couple of generations after moving into a tepee, my descendants might be saying 「家に入る」 or the equivalent of that in Navajo.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.