I aggressively cleaned my ear canal with my finger and the canal got scratched. After several weeks elapsed, it got naturally healed but I cannot hear clearly probably because of the dead skin or scab abandoned inside. I want to remove it in an ear-nose-throat clinic and to explain it to the doctor.

I am afraid if I make use of a wrong word and makes the doctor confused. I have tried to use a free online dictionary, I got the following results.

  • dead skin : 壊死した皮膚

  • scab : かさぶた

What are the best words to convey the same meaning of scab and dead skin, respectively?

  • I'd suggest "きずあと"。I think the image is that you had a "きず" in your ear. Then, the "あと" is a vague term that kind of means something produced by your "きず" that shouldn't be there. Surely, confirm that with a native speaker. btw: you offered TMI in your question... – Wrythe Jun 22 '15 at 22:02
  • @natlang: What is TMI? – Friendly Ghost Jun 22 '15 at 22:16
  • "TMI" is just im slang: "too much information". the question was just a little graphic is all. – Wrythe Jun 22 '15 at 23:11
  • @natlang: Because I just copied from my question in another site. – Friendly Ghost Jun 22 '15 at 23:21
  • Probably I will say as follows: たぶん、私の耳の中に、吹き出物があって、爆発して、リカバリーして、壊死した皮膚があるだろうと思います。 – Friendly Ghost Jun 22 '15 at 23:23

You have already got the best word for "scab".

The word I would suggest for "dead skin" is 「[角質]{かくしつ}」. 「[壊死]{えし}した[皮膚]{ひふ}」 sounds more like a dictionary definition. It is not something a patient would say.

That said, you could just copy the following and show it to your doctor.


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.