I can't figure out what difference there's between those two grammar forms. They're both used as "regardless of" (like in 年齢を問わず、 年齢にかかわらず), so what's the difference that I'm not seeing here?

• Evils of a bilingual dictionary --- as usual. – l'électeur Jun 23 '15 at 7:08

There is a clear difference.

「~~を[問]{と}わず」 = "regardless of ~~" in the sense of "no questions asked about ~~" even though one could ask questions about "~~" if one wanted to.

Examples: 「[年齢]{ねんれい}を問わず (age)」、「[性別]{せいべつ}を問わず (gender)」、「[経験]{けいけん}を問わず (experience)」, etc.

You will frequently encounter those phrases in help-wanted ads. The word 「[不問]{ふもん}」 is usually used to save space in newspapers, magazines, etc.

「~~に[関]{かか}わらず」 = "regardless of ~~" in the sense of "~~ bearing no influence (on another event)" mostly because one has no control of "~~"

Examples: 「サッカーの[試合]{しあい}は、[天候]{てんこう}に関わらず[行]{おこな}われる。」= "Soccer matches are held regardless of the weather."

「[明日]{あす}の[立食]{りっしょく}パーティーでは、[参加者数]{さんかしゃすう}に関わらず、[決]{き}まった[量]{りょう}の[料理]{りょうり}が[出]{だ}されます。」= "At the buffet-style party tomorrow, the pre-determined portions of food will be served regardless of the actual number of participants."

I think they can be used interchangeably as "irrespectively, regardless of."

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.