Can someone please explain the difference between

• とあれば
  • にあって
  • とあって

I've read the explanation from my 新完全マスター book but I'm afraid I don't fully understand the difference in nuance between these grammatical patterns.

Thanks

「~~あれば」= "if it is for ~~". Think of it as an emphatic form of 「なら」.

「よし[子]{こ}のためとあれば、[死]{し}んでもかまわない。」 = "I would not mind dying it it were for Yoshiko."

You can insert 「もし」 at the beginning of the sentence if you want to.

Occasionally, you will encounter the literary form 「~~とあば」. The form "--aba", instead of "--eba" is heavily used in set phrases such as 「急{いそ}がば回{まわ}れ」 ("Slow and steady wins the race.").

「~~あって」= "during ~~", "in the condition of ~~" Think of it as an emphatic form of 「に」.

「この[非常時]{ひじょうじ}にあっても、キミ子は[冷静]{れいせい}だった。」= "Even during this emergency, Kimiko was calm."

「~~あって」= "because of ~~", "due to the fact that ~~", etc. It expresses the specialness of the occasion.

「5[年]{ねん}に[一度]{いちど}のお[祭]{まつ}りとあって、[誰]{だれ}もが[興奮]{こうふん}していた。」 = "Because it was a once-in-every-five-years festival, everyone was excited."

• This is a very good explanation, thanks. The exact phrase that stumped me was 出世のため___どんなことでもするという人達がいるのだ。In this case, I felt that putting とあれば and とあって both worked well. – DaniG2k Jun 22 '15 at 15:39

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.