The full dialogue in the light novel is:

「だが注意したまえ。白峰は聡い男だからネ。何かしらの手は打ってくるだろう」

The characters were discussing about some operation.

I'm not sure of why the author would use the particle は here instead of を. From another post on the usage of 何かしら, I have taken it to mean "some kind of", and in this case, would the sentence mean that, "as for some kind of measure, I think he would strike us" , but as this comment has shown, if を is used instead, then it might mean "I think he will use some kind of measures towards us."

Can someone please clarify the usage of particles in this context?

Edit: A further comment from the above mention commenter explained that it might originally be をは but the を has been dropped by the author to make the action itself be the topic instead.

As I posted on a previous comment, to my understanding を is omitted because the action of "taking measures" needs to be qualified as the topic. There is also a great answer from Derek Schaab about particle omission here https://japanese.stackexchange.com/a/3152/4419.

• The post in the link was very informative. In the case of omitting を , does this mean the clauses are grouped as such: [何かしら]の[手は打ってくる]だろう ? – Daniel Tan Jun 22 '15 at 14:02
  • Yes, I believe that の qualifies the whole 手は打つってくる clause. – Kaizokugari Jun 22 '15 at 14:11
    There are no grammars that enable の to do that. You said "the action of "taking measures" needs to be qualified as the topic.". But that should be expressed as 何かしらの手を打ってくるのは. When it says 手は, the topic is 手. – user4092 Jun 22 '15 at 20:59
    [何]{なに}かしらの(≒[何]{なん}らかの) modifies 手. 何かしらの/何らかの modifies nouns/体言. It's [([何]{なに}かしらの)手]は打ってくるだろう ≒ 少なくとも[何]{なん}らかの手を打ってくるだろう. >> アルク辞書「何らかの」 – Chocolate Jun 22 '15 at 23:16
  • @Choko So in this case the sentence would mean that "he will at least take some sort of measures towards us?" Is there a reference for the meaning of は to convey the sense of at least, for further reference? – Daniel Tan Jun 23 '15 at 0:39

Compared with 何かしらの手を…, using は conveys a sense of "at least".

• Can I have a reference for this for further research? So in this case, the particle は also conveys a different layer of meaning to the sentence? – Daniel Tan Jun 23 '15 at 0:36
  • Sorry, I don't have any. It's difficult to explain comprehensively at once. – user4092 Jun 23 '15 at 11:32
  • Maybe we need a community wiki on advanced usage of particles? – Daniel Tan Jun 23 '15 at 11:49

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.