The hypothetical scenario is given as follows.

• Yesterday night I played game and intentionally did not do the homework. I did not forget for sure. :-)
  • This morning the teacher asked me and I want to pretend to regret what I did.

From this scenario, I want to say something that makes use of ~てしまいました grammar.

宿題を[the て form of しない]しまいました。

What is the て form of しない ?

• It's しないでしまいました, but this usage is not common. – Yang Muye Jun 16 '15 at 4:44
    これこれ は参考になりますか。 – Chocolate Jun 16 '15 at 5:43
    I think you cannot use しまいました with ない形. You should instead use something like 宿題をしないで寝てしまいました。 – harsh.prasad Jun 16 '15 at 13:37
  • This question might give you a hint on how to excuse yourself, but anyway it would be hard to end with してしまいました, this would rather be a part of the reason like 宿題をしようとしましたが、〜してしまって、できませんでした。 – macraf Oct 24 '15 at 23:56

しないで would be the て form of しない, but in conversation you don't hear the negative form of a verb used with しまいました. Instead you use the positive form of a verb + て form + しまいました. So for example, 宿題をしてしまいました would emphasize that you did your homework. If you didn't do the homework you need to connect it's negative with another verb. For example, 宿題をしないで来てしまいました。

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.