I'm wondering about this specific piece of grammar. I think you use "wakaru", but what do you use it with? Do you use a particle, like "to" or maybe some other construction?

For example, if you wanted to say: "She understood that time was running out.", what would you say/write?

-- Thank you! ^^ (It says to not post this as a comment and somehow the comment button doesn't even work for me... oh well.)

You can say:

もう(あまり)時間がないとわかった。(She realized that...)
or
もう(あまり)時間がないとわかっていた。(She was aware that...)

using the quotative particle と. Or:

もう(あまり)時間がないことがわかった。(She realized...)
or
もう(あまり)時間がないことがわかっていた。(She was aware that...)

using the case particle が: 「~~が+わかる」

If you use 理解する, add the particle を:

もう(あまり)時間がないことを理解した。(She realized...)
or
もう(あまり)時間がないことを理解していた。(She was aware...)

I would probably say something like :

時間が尽きてることってわかっていた

But I am not a native speaker so this may not be the best one...

It means "She understands that it means time runs out". – user4092 Jun 14 '15 at 0:41
  • @user4092 right on target. – oldergod Jun 15 '15 at 0:07
    Actually I overlooked て against 尽きてる and the tense of the verb, so it should have been "she understood that it meant time has run out". – user4092 Jun 15 '15 at 7:01

I'm also not a native speaker but I would write the following

彼女は時間が少ししか残ってなかったことが理解していました。

The girl understood (was aware) that there was little time left.

Did you mean to write を理解していました? – Darius Jahandarie Jun 15 '15 at 0:56
  • @DariusJahandarie I'm never sure. If you are confident that を is correct. Please edit the answer. I've been speaking it for a long time but I still have trouble in this area. – paullb Jun 15 '15 at 1:20
    「彼女は時間が少ししか残っていないことを理解していました。」ならよいと思います。 – Chocolate Jun 15 '15 at 17:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.