Why are the words 「とうもろこし」 and 「とうきび」 so commonly used in Hokkaido, whereas 「コーン」 seems to be more commonly used on the other islands of Japan?

• I don't know the real answer, but surely this follows the general pattern that people making the stuff use a familiar word, and people eating it use a foreign, fancy-sounding word. For example, English "cow" and "beef".
    – Avery
    Jun 13 '15 at 1:49

As a main islander, I can assure you that almost no one down here would call a whole ear of corn コーン. We actually use とうもろこし for that 99% of the time .

What we call コーン in Honshu are:

Corn "kernels" sold canned or frozen, corn as a side dish, corn as a topping on pizza or ramen, etc.

I have been to Hokkaido 12-13 times, but my impression is that this is not any different up there except for the fact that quite a few Dosanko call an ear of corn とうきび instead of とうもろこし.

「[道産子]{どさんこ}」 means "Hokkaido person(s)".

Here in Hokkaido I do see 「とうもろこし」 on restaurant menus for corn as a topping, such as for ramen, soup curry, etc. and for foods that include corn as an ingredient such as おみやげ snacks/sweets, not only for corn-on-the-cob.
    – seijitsu
    Jun 13 '15 at 6:43

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.