I began reading manga (To Loveる) and I saw something I don't understand or rather why it is used there.

The sentence is:

まさか こんな“辺境”にまでお逃げになられるとはねエ・・・

I mostly understand but there's the ending part that makes me confused.

1. Why is と even used there?
  2. And what's with は? Is it like ending-particle わ?
  3. And one more: why is there used passive form of なる (なられる)?

Sorry for asking a lot! It would be great help if you could help me get it right.

• と is quotative particle implying 思わなかった. は is what's called topic or contrastive particle. – user4092 Jun 13 '15 at 14:44
  • No, I don't. But thanks for asking. – istrasci Jun 15 '15 at 14:50

「まさか、こんな”[辺境]{へんきょう}”にまでお[逃]{に}げになられるとはねエ・・・ 」

To give it my own TL,

"Good Lord! How you/he/she escaped all the way to this remote place!"

Why is と even used there? And what's with は?

It is 「とは」 that we should be looking at here.

「~~~とは」 expresses the speaker's surprise, anger, excitement, etc. The important thing is that one can end a sentence with this 「とは」 without directly stating how one feels about an event/situation. The sentence in question is actually an example of this. The 「ねエ」 ending does not count as a meaningful statement. How the speaker feels is left unsaid. Thus, the 「・・・」 at the end.

Is it like ending-particle わ?

No, it is nothing like 「わ」. To end a sentence with 「わ」, you need to make a meaningful statement first and then, you add a 「わ」 at the end.

why is there used passive form of なる (なられる)?

That is not the passive voice; It is the honorific speech. The speaker is being respectful to the person who ran away.

• お逃げになられる(お~になられる)は正しい敬語ですか。「お逃げになる」でなくてよいですか。 – Chocolate Jun 13 '15 at 10:12
    二重敬語で妙に丁寧なのは皮肉かなとか思ったんですけど・・ – Chocolate Jun 13 '15 at 10:27
  • うわっ、あかん!ホンマやがな。若いな、ワシも・・ – l'électeur Jun 13 '15 at 14:29

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.