All three of these seem to translate to influence/affect. Are there any differences in meaning? Or are they interchangeable? I can't figure anything out by looking at example sentences (although I have a feeling one of them has a negative connotation).

One of these example sentences I found (from jisho.org) is:

彼の父親は彼によい影響を与えた
His father had a good influence on him

Is there a reason 与える is used here? Or could the others have been used here as well (assuming any necessary shifts in grammar are made)?

• 影響する
  • 影響を与える
  • 影響を及ぼす
  • 影響する is grammatically different from the other two; it is one verb, and cannot be modified by the dictionary form of an adjective like よい ("よい影響する" is wrong).
  • "父親は彼によく影響する" is grammatically correct, but it sounds more like "to affect strongly" rather than "to have a good effect/influence".
  • 影響を与える and 影響を及ぼす are semantically the same, but I feel 及ぼす is not frequently used except in formal situations or technical articles. I think "彼によい影響を及ぼした" is perfect in a written biography, but sounds too grandiose in a conversation. "よい影響を与えた" is better, but it's still a bit stiff. A more natural expression in a conversation would be "父親がいて彼にはいい影響があった".
  • I found one person who feels 影響を及ぼす has a negative connotation, but personally I don't think so.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.