Outside of Australia and New Zealand, am I likely to be understood by Japanese speakers if I use キーウィ to mean New Zealanders?

Based on what weblio and Wiktionary say, I suspect not, but I want to check as sometimes dictionaries don't mention slang terms.

I would have to say no.

「キーウィ」 refers only to the kiwifruit to at least 99% of Japanese-speakers -- perhaps even more.

Those who have lived in New Zealand or Australia might refer to a New Zealander as 「キーウィ」 among themselves, but that kind of private usage still would not count as an established meaning of the word within the Japanese language.

• Except that 'kiwi fruits' are usually called キウイフルーツ - see Wikipedia ja.wikipedia.org/wiki/… – Brian Chandler Jun 6 '15 at 6:59
  • I don't think most Japanese in everyday speech will bother with the "フルーツ" part there. – user3707023 Oct 7 '17 at 23:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.