Having trouble with the bolded part:

沈む太陽が海に溶け、全てを赤く染めあげる一瞬の――儚いけれど鮮烈な一時は、しかしそこで止まっていた。水平線に半ばまで埋もれながら、決して落ちない太陽。寄せては引き、引いては返すも、どこか現実味を欠いた潮騒……

What (I think) I understand so far:

A fleeting but vivid moment when the sinking sun dissolves in the sea, tinting everything red. However, it stops there. This sun, half-buried under the horizon, will certainly not set. ??? Sea roar that is out of touch with reality...

How to translate the bolded part? Is it talking about the tide, so that

寄せて引き、引いて返す

Are ほ、も the s.c. 係助詞 and simplifying it into 寄せて引き、引いて返す、どこか現実味を欠いた潮騒 it's basically a long clause ((寄せて引き、引いて返す)、(どこか現実味を欠いた)) of 潮騒?

sea roar that pulls back, then comes in, then pulls back again [...])? (again, my English vocabulary is poor so that's probably not the right word for describing tidal movement...)

I have only recently read about the s.c. 係助詞 (I don't know if that's the correct notion to use here, even) and a lot of vocabulary here is unfamiliar to me so I'm looking for help as to whether I understood it correctly.

(btw please correct me if I failed at other parts of translation)

• Right, so all the bolded ones are definitely 係助詞? Does the entire clause roughly mean what I wrote (tide pulling back and forth)? – user10216 Jun 4 '15 at 21:42
  • The last も isn't the part of this construction. も attaches to a verb's dictionary form is a conjunction used in literary language that means "though". – broccoli forest Jun 4 '15 at 21:53
  • Ahhh, I see. So despite the flow of the waves (still not sure about that part), the sea roar is lacking something that would make it a part of reality? This is starting to make more sense. – user10216 Jun 4 '15 at 21:55