I'm really confused how to use them. Please help me. Thank you.

They have same meaning but different conjugation forms, that means, they merely differ in ability to connect to other words.

による
Since よる is plain (dictionary) form, it's used as main verb or noun qualifier.

遠足に行けるかどうかは天気による
Whether we'll be able to go on a picnic depends on the weather.

震災による被害は甚大だ。
The damage (which brought about) by the earthquake is immense.

によって
よって is the te-form of the verb, so practically it functions as a postposition leads (actually follows) a sentence adverb clause.

ヒーローの活躍によって世界は救われた。
Thanks to the hero's efforts, the world is saved.

If you swap them in a sentence, you'll usually get very different things.

ウイルスによる病気を治療する cure a disease caused by viruses
(because ~による qualifies the noun 病気.)

ウイルスによって病気を治療する cure a disease using viruses
(because ~によって qualifies the predicate 治療する.)

• Obviously correct information, but I think the OP may have been asking about the difference when you're using both of them predicatively: 「天気によります。」 vs 「天気によってです。」, for example. – Darius Jahandarie Jun 4 '15 at 21:00
  • It seems quite unlikely to me that these two could be used on the equal ground. 天気によってです sounds unnatural outside cleft sentences 「~のは、天気によってです。」. Maybe should I provide the complete conjugation paradigm of による? – broccoli forest Jun 4 '15 at 21:26

「によって」 is like "depending on ..."

「好きな食べ物が人によって違います。」 (It depends on the person what food he/she likes.) or (From person to person, it's different on what food he/she likes.)

while 「による」 is like "according to..."

「山口さんによると、アメリカの食べ物がおいしいです。」 (According to Mr. Yamaguchi, American food is delicious.)

Unfortunately I still don't know other uses for the two, though.

• Why did this get downvoted? Is this troll downvoting? – dotnetN00b Jun 4 '15 at 14:04
  • @dotnetN00b as the other answer states, による and によって are just conjugations of the same thing. 「によって」 can also mean "according to" e.g., カントによって、道徳は純粋理性に基づいている。 Related conjugations are よれば よると (detail.chiebukuro.yahoo.co.jp/qa/question_detail/q1237587592). Consequently, this answer is not very helpful. – virmaior Jun 4 '15 at 22:54
  • @virmaior I feel that only よれば and よると can translate "according to", though. Expressions for the idea are very idiomatic in both English and Japanese. Your example sounds very unnatural, effectively による ≈ に基づく. – broccoli forest Jun 5 '15 at 9:25

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.