What does the phrase 乞うご期待 mean in English? Can you show some example sentences?

• What is wrong with this question? Aug 5, 2011 at 22:01
  • I agree. I see nothing wrong with this question.
    – istrasci
    Aug 6, 2011 at 0:16
    I think the problem is that the person asking the question should be providing example sentences, not the people answering.
    – Questioner
    Aug 6, 2011 at 0:48

1 Answer 1

I was reading this chiebukuro, I think the gist of it is that movie theaters would give a preview of what they had coming to the screen, and a big 乞うご期待 would be written on the trailer. I guess this is like the Coming Soon in the U.S.

I can't translate it to English, but perhaps something along the lines of "for your anticipation."

To give the meaning, the same chiebukuro rewords it:

[どうぞ]期待してください。
Please look forward to this.

• 乞う means "to request", so it would be "the expectation/anticipation of what you asked for".
    – istrasci
    Aug 6, 2011 at 0:19
  • I see, but can't you look at it from the other way around if we switch who's doing the asking, "request your anticipation"? I know, it sounds weird to me too. Aug 6, 2011 at 0:34
    It is a kanbun-influenced phrase (thus, not in standard Japanese word order) that means "We request 乞う your anticipation/looking-forward-to-ness ご期待". Sometimes you see it split into two sentences for ease of understanding: 乞う!ご期待! It is a similar pattern to "求む (something)" which means "we want (something)!"
    – Matt
    Aug 6, 2011 at 3:03

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .