Difference between と and とは?

For example in below sentences

そんなに大きいと思わなかった。

and

そんなに大きいとは思わなかった。

Not much difference in this case, although the latter strikes me as a bit more common. I would categorize the は in the latter sentence as a contrastive wa: "(I knew it was big, but) I didn't think it was this big". – dainichi Jun 3 '15 at 5:17
  • +1 because it is a good question but the example sentence are not the best because each can mean two VERY different things. – l'électeur Jun 3 '15 at 7:15
  • @l'électeur The examples I gave seem pretty clear to me "I didn't it it would be so big". Can you please elaborate on these VERY different meanings? – paullb Jun 4 '15 at 3:10
    そんなに大きいとは思わなかった can mean 1. I didn't expect it would be so big (before I saw it). 2. I didn't think it was that big (when I saw it). – Chocolate Jun 4 '15 at 6:34
    @paullb Hmm? (1) is like そんなに大きいとは思っていなかったが、実際に見てみると、意外に大きかった。I had not expected it to be so big. It was bigger than I had expected. Contrary to my expectations, it was big. (2) is like 私はそれをそんなに大きいとは思わなかった。むしろ小さいと思った。I saw it and didn't think it was big. Rather, I thought it was quite small. When I saw it, I had an impression that it was not big. – Chocolate Jun 4 '15 at 10:16

In this case, there is very little difference, although the latter strikes me as a bit more common.

I would categorize the は in the latter sentence as a contrastive wa: "(I knew it was big, but) I didn't think it was this big".

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.