I have not learnt much yet but I am interested in knowing it quickly. My questions are:

• Do 見える (to see, to be seen, to be visible, to appear) and 見せる (to show, to display) come from 見る (to look, to see, to watch, to take a look)?
  • If yes, what kind of conjugation are used?

The term "conjugation" I mean here is like another conjugation, for example,

• 食べる - 食べない
  • 書く - 書かない
  • etc
  • The come from 見る yes. 見る-見えない。見せるー見せない。 Just the same as 食べる-食べない and 食べさせる-食べさせない or 書く-書けない and 書かせるー書かせない。 I am not quite sure of where you are having trouble. Is there a more in depth way you would like this explained? – The Wandering Coder Jun 2 '15 at 0:27
  • They aren't conjugations; they're separate verbs. However, the meaning of 見える and 見せる seem like they resemble the potential (ability, i.e. "able to be seen" - visible) and causative (let/make, i.e. "let (someone) see" - show), respectively. The actual conjugation for these two forms isn't that far off from these either (would normally be 見れる and 見させる). – Blavius Jun 2 '15 at 0:29
    You're mixing up derivation and inflection. They're derived from 見る historically but are now lexical words. They aren't inflectional forms of 見る. – snailplane Jun 2 '15 at 7:46
    @TheWanderingCoder 「見る-見えない」は誤りです。「食べる-食べない」に相当するのは「見る-見ない」、あるいは「見える-見えない」です。同様に「食べさせる-食べさせない」に相当するのも「見させる-見させない」で、「見せる-見せない」は別です。 – marasai Jun 2 '15 at 8:35
    @marasai 書いたときなんか変と思った。ありがとうございます。今度寝不足のままで書かないようにします。 – The Wandering Coder Jun 3 '15 at 0:14

見える is euphonic change (or slurring) from 見ゆる, which is a form of 見ゆ, which is a form of 見る(→み) combined with auxiliary verb ゆ.

見せる was a form of 見す, which is combination of aforementioned み and auxiliary verb す.

Isn't 見ゆ > 見える part of the whole shimo-nidan > shimo-ichidan shift? I wouldn't describe it as 'euphonic' at all. – Sjiveru Jun 2 '15 at 19:17
    I think that shift is exactly the consequence of euphonic change. – user4092 Jun 3 '15 at 0:57
    Really? I'd characterise it as a somewhat irregular result of the larger phenomenon of the rentaikei replacing the shuushikei. – Sjiveru Jun 3 '15 at 1:46

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.