I assumed not, but I saw

言い知れぬ甘美なもの

Translated as "something inexpressibly sweet", as if 言い知れぬ modified 甘美な. Is it just a quirk of translation and both the adjective 言い知れぬ and 形容動詞 modify もの (that is, lit: something inexpressible and sweet), or does 言い知れぬ modify 形容動詞 here somehow?

• I changed the question, feel free to edit it but I'm not familiar with the term 連体詞 and I don't know if it modifies other 品詞 any different from 形容詞 (does it?) so I hesitated to add it. – user10216 Jun 1 '15 at 12:19
  • That's okay. It looks like an answer will have to address your notion of adjective anyway, so we might as well leave that part of the question the way it is :-) – snailcar Jun 1 '15 at 13:07

言い知れぬ is an expression that is used like an adjective, but is actually a negative verb. Basically, it's an archaic way of saying 言い知れない. In this case, don't think of 言い知れぬ as modifying the na-adjective. Think of it as modifying the noun which has already been modified by the na-adjective. The "sweetness" isn't what's indescribable; the "sweet thing" is.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.