I have come across the word in a manga. It is said by a boy who was talking about the future plan of selling prizes awarded from playing Pachinko.

Here is the sentence including the word:

いつまでも たたき売{う}りなんぞしてやせんっ

I'm not sure if the word is related to the word 痩{や}せる.

It has nothing to do with 「[痩]{や}せる」(= to become slimmer); That is for sure.

「してやせん」=「して + や + せん」

「して」, needless to say, is the て-form of 「する」.

「や」 is a colloquial (or regional) pronunciation of 「は」.

See here: 大辞林 「や(係助)口頭語で、係助詞『は』がなまったもの。『誰も[来]{き}やしない(こやしない)』『霧で何も見えやしない』」 (Toward the bottom of the page)

「せん」 means 「しない」.

「~~してせん」=「~~していない」 = "would/will not be doing ~~", "am not doing ~~", etc.

Other examples with the same structure:

「[誰]{だれ}も[食]{た}べせん!」=「誰も食べしない!」 = "No one will eat it!"

「[車]{くるま}なんか[買]{か}えせん!」=「車なんか買えしない」 = "There is no way I could afford a car!"

I agree that this is correct if the boy is not speaking politely. Though I feel negating する itself using する in this way is not common. – naruto May 31 '15 at 5:53
  • Maybe there should have been a reference to difference of intonation between してはせん and してません. – user4092 May 31 '15 at 14:29
  • You said「~~してやせん」=「~~してはいない」. I'm not sure this is right. I think 「~~してやせん」 uses the pattern <masu-stem>+はしない: 「~~してやせん」=「~~してる」+「はしない」=「~~してはしない」 – ignorantFid May 31 '15 at 15:18
    「して」, needless to say, is the 連用形 of 「する」 ん?「し」が「する」の連用形で、「て」は接続助詞ちゃう? 勝手に「て形」に変えたらアカンやろか? – Chocolate Jun 3 '16 at 17:51
    しらんねん、文法とか。コワいわあ、チャットルームのエキスパートたち・・ – l'électeur Jun 4 '16 at 1:04

ま is sometimes replaced with や:

• もうしわけありやせん (もうしわけありません)
  • ありがとうございやす (ありがとうございます)
  • 元気でありやす (元気であります)

If that's the case with your example, that part simply means してません.

I'm not sure if this is a real dialect spoken somewhere, or it's a kind of slurred speech not particularly associated with a certain dialect.

• Completely disagreed. Typing my own answer. – l'électeur May 31 '15 at 5:21
    「してはせん」(→する気はない)と解釈する方かな。この人の普段のしゃべり方によってはそっちかも。 – naruto May 31 '15 at 5:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.