According to my teacher who is a native Japanese, the second option cannot be used even though it is grammatically correct. What do you think? Any comments are appreciated.

Option 1

彼:すみません。消しゴムを忘れたので、「私があなたに」消しゴムを借りてもいいですか。

彼女:ええ。どうぞ。

Option 2

彼:すみません。消しゴムを忘れたので、「あなたが私に」消しゴムを貸してもいいですか。

彼女:ええ。どうぞ。

消しゴムを忘れたので、(あなたが私に)消しゴムを貸してもいいですか。

This sounds strange. You use ~てもいいですか for asking for permission (= 'May I ~~?'), so '(私があなたに・あなたから)・・・借りてもいいですか' is correct. If you want to use the verb 貸す, here 貸す is the action done by the listener, not the speaker, so you would rather say

消しゴムを忘れたので、(あなたが私に)消しゴムを貸してくれませんか。

You use ~てくれませんか for requesting/asking someone to do something (= 'Could you ~~?')

You can also say

消しゴムを忘れたので、(私があなたに)消しゴムを貸してもらえませんか。

Here the subject would be 私 because the subject of 貸す is the listener but the subject of 貸してもらう is the speaker.

• Is 貸してもらっていいですか less polite, you think?
    – ssb
    May 29 '15 at 7:43
  • How about the following: 彼:すみません。消しゴムを忘れた。 彼女:貸してもいいですか。 彼:はい。ありがとうございます。 May 29 '15 at 8:06
    @FriendlyGhost You'd say 貸しましょうか or 貸してあげましょうか (for making an offer)
    – user5185
    May 29 '15 at 8:10
  • 分かりました。ありがとうございます。 May 29 '15 at 8:12
  • @ssb 貸してもらっていいですか would be fine (the subject would be 私, though), and yeah it sounds a little bit less polite to me.
    – user5185
    May 29 '15 at 8:17

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.