In The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe novel, the character Aslan orders centaurs and eagles to chase a wolf, saying, "He will be going to his mistress." He is referring to the wolf's female master, the White Witch, who considers herself to be the "Queen." The witch refers to a dwarf as her "slave," so she has a master/slave relationship with her followers. What is the correct Japanese word for a dominant female "master?"

I tried searching in online Japanese dictionaries for the word "mistress," but the results seem to be comprised of Japanese words for "mistress" as in an extra-marital lover, or "madam" as in a well-bred lady, rather than a woman who has slaves/servants. When I searched for the word "master," I could not find words that fit females.

The female equivalent of 主人 is [女主人]{おんなしゅじん}, and you would address your 女主人 as [奥様]{おくさま} or お[嬢様]{じょうさま}. (You wouldn't address her as [女主人様]{おんなしゅじんさま}.)

奥様 is normally for a married lady, お嬢様 is for a young/single lady. – user5185 May 27 '15 at 9:18
    Just for clarification, OP may be wondering if it's possible to use something more specific, like 女主人様, to address a mistress, because お嬢様/奥様 is generic terms. And I don't think it's possible. – naruto May 28 '15 at 6:03
  • Right, you wouldn't call your 女主人 as 女主人様. – user5185 May 28 '15 at 6:59
    And, why the downvote (again, as usual?) – user5185 May 28 '15 at 7:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.