Would the sentence below make sense?

バスがじゅっぷんにきます。

じゅっぷんにきます might sound like 'the bus comes at hh:10'. Let's say you are waiting for a bus at 09:55, then if you say "バスがじゅっぷんにきます", your friends probably think that the bus is coming at 10:10. – Yosh May 25 '15 at 13:58

You would say

バスは[10分]{じっぷん(じゅっぷん)}[後]{ご}に来ます。
or バスは([後]{あと})10分で来ます。

The [後]{あと} in the 2nd sentence is optional. The 2nd sentence sounds more casual than the 1st. For the two readings of 10分, see this thread – user5185 May 25 '15 at 9:28
  • As I have put below in my answer below, 後10分 is incorrect. – paullb May 27 '15 at 6:29
  • @paullb この辞書にはこんな例文がありますが。「私はあと10分でそこに着きます。I will arrive there in 10 minutes. 」「電車はあと五分で到着の予定です。The train is due to arrive here in 5 minutes.」このページにも、「The bus will be here in __ minutes. あと_分でバスが来ます。」とありますが、どうして「あと10分」はいけないんですか? – Chocolate May 27 '15 at 7:13
  • @paulb ちなみに、user5185さんはネイティブかネイティブレベルなので、こんなことを間違えるとは思えないです。 – Darius Jahandarie May 27 '15 at 8:11

I would usually use 後{ご}, as an indication of what is to come :

バスが十分{じゅっぷん}後{ご}に来{き}ます。

Another example :

飛行機{ひこうき}は10分[後]{ご}に離陸{りりく}します。

Maybe you also know 後{あと}で as a way to say, afterwards, in a while, this is the same kanji. You can use it this way :

電車{でんしゃ}は後{あと}五分で発車{はっしゃ}します。

You could say

バスは10分{じゅっぷん}後{ご}に来{き}ます。

Or a slightly more formal

バスは10分{じゅっぷん}後{ご}に到着{とうちゃく}します

EDIT: I asked my Japanese teacher about this (as it came up somewhere else) the following clarification was made:

BAD: 後20分に    (This phrasing is typically used for an ongoing action that has already started)

GOOD:20分後に (This specifies a time point in the future)

I have edited the answer accordingly.

• After checking with my Japanese teacher I discovered I had it wrong. Made changes accordingly. – paullb May 27 '15 at 3:24
    1. Did your teacher tell you that the 後 in 10分後に is read only as あと, not ご? 2. Did your teacher tell you that 後20分 is grammatically correct and can be used in certain context? – Chocolate May 27 '15 at 3:56
  • @Choco In fact she did, I forgot to fix the furigana. Fixed now. Thank you for pointing that out. – paullb May 27 '15 at 6:28
  • What, your teacher said 後20分「に」 is grammatically correct? Is she a native speaker? – Chocolate May 27 '15 at 6:43
  • @Choco I genuinely forget if she said にor で the focus was on the 20分 part as I had wrote it in a text message and she was correcting me. – paullb May 27 '15 at 6:52

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.