My impression is that, in speech, 名前 is polite, and 名 is ruder - but in writing, 名 sounds more literary. Am I correct?

名前 is just "name", and sometimes お名前 is used in polite conversation, but 名 would not be used in conversation. In literature you might see it like 彼の名は~~ but it sounds good only in a story context, not conversation unless you intend to sound like you are narrating something in a joking manner.

In school, when we would go to the teacher's room, sometimes teachers would tell us to 名乗れ! meaning "Say your name" if we didn't greet properly. But I have never heard 名 being used for anything else.

• 名乗る is its own verb; you sometimes hear 名前を名乗れ. – Aeon Akechi Jul 30 '15 at 18:21
  • Along with story context, it appears it can be used to denote reputation and level of Fame too "Name; Title; Fame; Reputation" from jisho.org/search/名 – greg Apr 25 at 0:44

As Haya8 said, [名前]{なまえ} means name in both written and speech.

Polite way (not used for oneself): お名前

Ex. お名前は何ですか。

Common way: 名前

Ex. 私の名前は一郎です。

名 itself isn't used in speech. However, in written terms:

1. It can be a counter for people. ~名
    Ex. 5[名]{めい} means 5 persons.

2. It can be a suffix of something. ~名
    Ex. [会社名]{かいしゃめい} means Company Name

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.