I know that this kanji is associated with writing and text, and can mean "sentence." When using it to mean "sentence", is it only a written sentence? I can't find any examples that unambiguously demonstrate that it can be a spoken sentence as well.

Just being curious, what kind of examples do you think unambiguously demonstrate English "sentence" stands for a spoken sentence as well? – broccoli forest May 22 '15 at 22:31
    "She always raises her voice at the end of a sentence, like she's asking a question." Pretty much any sentence that mentions someone saying a sentence, rather than writing/reading one. – duggulous May 23 '15 at 1:20

文 refers to a sentence, regardless of whether it's written or spoken. I find no significant discrepancy in usage between Japanese '文' and English 'sentence' here.

For example you can say something like 命令文のイントネーション (intonation of an imperative sentence), which unequivocally refers to a spoken sentence.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.