I've just learned 間・間に, as in:

私はビーンにいる間、写真をたくさん取りたいですよ。

ジョンは出かけている間、ビールを飲みました。

All the examples on my grammar sheet use present-continuous form (~ている) or いる. (These are my own examples, though.) So my question is twofold:

1. Can you use present-tense dictionary form (e.g. 出かける) with 間?
  2. If so, what time-frame would it indicate; when would the action take place?

和訳

私はつい最近「間・間に」を習いました。例えば、

私はビーンにいる間、写真をたくさん撮りたいですよ。

ジョンは出かけている間、ビールを飲みました。

私の文法プリントに載っている例文は全部現在進行形(~ている)か「いる」を使っています(上のは自作の例文ですが)。そこで、二つの質問があります。

1. 現在の辞書形(例:出かける)を「間」と一緒に使うことはできますか?
  2. 使えるとしたら、前後関係はどうなるのですか?動作はいつ行われるのですか?
  • Why have you added a Japanese translation to the question? I don't take particular issue with it, I just don't see what it adds, unless there's a new site-wide policy I'm not aware of. – Lou May 23 '15 at 21:03
    I think this question is rather hard to answer perfectly. I wanted to attract native speakers who'll drop by this site or see Japanese Google so that they can leave their opinions. Please see here for further explanation. – broken laptop May 24 '15 at 4:54
    Maybe we should add furigana to questions with 間, because it can be hard for learners to know if it's read あいだ or ま, or even かん. – snailplane Aug 20 '15 at 15:31

Yes, you can use 出かける間 from the moment when you try to leave home, to the moment when you get out. In addition, you can still use 出かけている間 for the same situation. The action in the main clause is done during that moment. e.g. 私がちょうど出かける間にネコに家に入られたようだ。(By the way, what the speaker in the first sentence is whining for, regaring taking picture?)

• Well, you've answered the first question, but I confess I'm confused about the difference between 出かけている間 and 出かける間 here. – Lou May 24 '15 at 10:48
  • Unlike 出かける間、出かけてる間 can stand for the time when you are out before arriving home again. – user4092 May 25 '15 at 0:56

間 stands for "while," "during."

So it stands to reason that you use it with a verb indicating some duration, as in 居る間, 出かけている間 (= while staying, while staying out).

I would not say 出かける間, as I doubt 出かける is an action with duration.

* Added the 21st June, 2015 *

I have no ideal why someone downvoted my answer.

I would like to stress that 出かける means "to go out" and refers to the action of "going out". Do you say "while I go out?"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.