Couldn't find this one in my dictionaries. How would you translate "chunky" into Japanese? As in chunky peanut butter, or, "I left the milk out for 3 days and now it's all chunky," or, "the chemicals congealed into a kind of chunky gel".

• I don't think posting a generic link is the most considerate. For example, in your link it says chunky peanut butter is 「ピーナッツフレーク入りのピーナッツバター」 and that's not the best example..I would agree that in this context, like snailboat says, 粒入り would be best suited. – user224579 May 21 '15 at 21:20
  • Also, just like any language, you can't really carry over meanings like that. So the Japanese for chunky peanut butter is not the same as chunky rotten milk. You need to always single out context. – user224579 May 21 '15 at 21:21
  • I'm assuming by submitting that link as a comment rather than an answer, Darius was intending to communicate something along the lines of, "here's a reference that seems to address this question but I cannot verify its accuracy." – duggulous May 21 '15 at 21:31
  • At least I know how to say "chunky bacon"... – broccoli forest May 22 '15 at 3:58

Peanut butter:「[粒入]{つぶい}り(の)」、「つぶつぶ(の)」, etc.

Rotten milk:「ドロドロになる/なっている」、「ドロドロの」, etc.

Chunky gel: same as rotten milk. If it is very hard, one could use 「ゴツゴツ」、「ゴロゴロ」, etc.

I only trust you can change these forms freely according to the context.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.