enter image description here

The character doesn't know how to ride a bike and tries to remember what his friend was doing when starting the vehicle.

He then says to himself :

たしかここんとこをグリッてまわしてたような……

I can't find any info on グリッて, what does it mean?

• I can't seem to find anything either. I think it could be an idea (if you can) to include a picture/scan of the actual sentence, just in case. Well, I found this : doramani645.blog135.fc2.com/blog-entry-525.html but I am not sure it is related. – Urukann May 21 '15 at 8:28
    「ぐるっと」とか「ぐるりと」みたいなもんです。 – Chocolate May 21 '15 at 8:35
  • Not sure if this is relevant, but jisho.org suggestsグリップ (adding プ to get "grip"), which might make sense in the context of this image. – GoBusto May 21 '15 at 9:10
  • I don't think グリップ is related & @Choco has the answer (which she should go ahead and post! Welcome back!). – Earthliŋ May 21 '15 at 9:44

This グリって is a mimetic adverb (擬態語) which is basically the same as グリグリ(と):

押さえつけながら強く回すさま。「ひじで肩を―(と)もむ」

It's similar to グルグル(と)/グルっと which describes how something rotates smoothly. But グリグリ refers to a more forceful, unsmooth movement/rotation.

I feel グリグリ when I rotate my notched mouse wheel back and forth. – broccoli forest May 22 '15 at 5:06

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.