I just finished an introductory Japanese class, and the class bought a small gift for the professor. I'm planning to drop the gift off at the professor's office, so I need to write a brief tag saying who it's from: "Thank you from the whole class." Is something as simple as:

ありがとうございます!

---[class name] のみな

correct and appropriate for the situation?

How about:

[一年間]{いちねんかん}/[半年間]{はんとしかん}/[三ヶ月間]{さんかげつかん}etc.* お世話になり、ありがとうございました。
(class name)[一同]{いちどう} or (class name)一同より

*一年間=for a year, 半年間=for half a year, 三ヶ月間=for three months

• Excellent, thank you very much (and for adding the kana)! We did cover units of time and the corresponding counters in class, but I haven't run into いちどう before. It looks like it means 'all of us', and it doesn't require a particle--- is that right? – anomaly May 20 '15 at 16:57
    @anomaly Right, 一同 can be 'all of (us/staff/group, etc.)', and you can use it like クラス一同(all of class), 生徒/学生一同(all the students), 3組一同(everyone in class 3), スタッフ一同(all the staff), etc. – user5185 May 20 '15 at 17:10
  • Great, thanks again! I'm sure the professor will be happier to get a properly-written note. :) – anomaly May 20 '15 at 17:12
    This is a great answer. On that note, given how it's an introductory class, your professor probably wouldn't mind you using what you've been taught, even if it wasn't quite the right or best way to phrase it. – akj May 20 '15 at 17:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.