I'm going back over my notes from Japanese For Busy People. I no longer have the books but I wrote out many of the examples. What I have not always done is write down my teacher's explanations. Hopefully I can get an answer here.

In these two examples we see けっこう and いい used. I remember using けっこう for saying one does not want any more tea (いいえ、もう けっこう です) but I don't know if it is the same usage here. More commonly I use もう いい です. So seeing けっこう here has confused me.

Could somebody explain the difference between these two examples please?

今 ペンが ありません。 えんぴつで も いい です か。
はい、えんぴつで も けっこう です。

今 現金が ありません。 カードで も いい です か。
はい、 カードで も いい です。

Did you notice that you are talking about もう いい・けっこう です, but the example sentences ~も いい・けっこう です don't use もう, but も?
    – Earthliŋ
    May 19, 2015 at 13:36

1 Answer 1

We are talking about two different (though related) shades of meaning of 「けっこう」 here.

"no longer in need of ~~"

「もうけっこうです。」 means "I want no more ~~."

「もういいです。」 has at least two meanings. One is the same as 「もうけっこうです。」, but it is less formal than 「もうけっこうです。」. The other meaning is "(Something) is ready to (or 'to be') ~~."

"sufficient", "satisfactory", etc.

「えんぴつでもけっこうです。」 = "A pencil will suffice (if you have no pen)."

「カードでもいいです。」 = "A credit card would be no problem (if you do not have cash.)" A store clerk would generally speak more formally than that and would say 「カードでもけっこうです。」

• By the by, does 「もういいです。」 come off as rude to the listener? I get the impression that it's kinda blunt.
    – akj
    May 19, 2015 at 15:55
    @akj: You are right. もういいです can mean "Enough (is enough)" depending on the context.
    – eltonjohn
    Jun 20, 2015 at 13:18

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .