I'm going back over my notes from Japanese For Busy People. I no longer have the books but I wrote out many of the examples. What I have not always done is write down my teacher's explanations. Hopefully I can get an answer here.

In these two examples we see けっこう and いい used. I remember using けっこう for saying one does not want any more tea (いいえ、もう けっこう です) but I don't know if it is the same usage here. More commonly I use もう いい です. So seeing けっこう here has confused me.

Could somebody explain the difference between these two examples please?

今 ペンが ありません。 えんぴつで も いい です か。
はい、えんぴつで も けっこう です。

今 現金が ありません。 カードで も いい です か。
はい、 カードで も いい です。

Did you notice that you are talking about もう いい・けっこう です, but the example sentences ~も いい・けっこう です don't use もう, but も? – Earthliŋ May 19 '15 at 13:36
  • I had not noticed! Ha Ha Ha! – VictorySaber May 19 '15 at 14:12
  • Then I recommend you look up why and how they are different, because they are so very different... A simple dictionary look-up (e.g. on jisho.org) will already put you miles ahead of where you were when you thought that もう and も were the same. – Earthliŋ May 19 '15 at 14:22

We are talking about two different (though related) shades of meaning of 「けっこう」 here.

"no longer in need of ~~"

「もうけっこうです。」 means "I want no more ~~."

「もういいです。」 has at least two meanings. One is the same as 「もうけっこうです。」, but it is less formal than 「もうけっこうです。」. The other meaning is "(Something) is ready to (or 'to be') ~~."

"sufficient", "satisfactory", etc.

「えんぴつでもけっこうです。」 = "A pencil will suffice (if you have no pen)."

「カードでもいいです。」 = "A credit card would be no problem (if you do not have cash.)" A store clerk would generally speak more formal than that and would say 「カードでもけっこうです。」.

Hope this helps.

• I can see that けっこう is used for more formality. Thank you! – VictorySaber May 19 '15 at 14:27
  • By the by, does 「もういいです。」 come off as rude to the listener? I get the impression that it's kinda blunt. – akj May 19 '15 at 15:55
    @akj: You are right. もういいです can mean "Enough (is enough)" depending on the context. – eltonjohn Jun 20 '15 at 13:18

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.