In attempting to translate an advertising poster, I ran into some difficulties. The poster reads:

第一部 ガールズバンドライブ

第二部 カウントダウンライブ

The katakana is easy enough: 'Girl Band Live / Countdown Live', but in checking the kanji on jisho, I'm finding the meanings of 'ordinal' and 'club, category, or magazine counter', none of which seems to mesh together. 'First Club / Second Club' are my best guesses, but it doesn't quite seem to fit. Does anyone have an accurate translation?

• Wouldn't this be "first act" and "second act"? Meaning that Girl Band opens then Countdown follows. I speak zero Japanese but if I saw a club poster that said (as this does) "1. blah-blah-blah / 2. blah-blah-blah", that is what I would assume it meant. – Malvolio May 15 '15 at 0:31
  • If it's chapter/episode titles of manga/anime, then translate it with the context of that manga/anime. Some manga/anime will use different words in place of the usual character for "chapter". – nhahtdh May 15 '15 at 3:46

It is used this way to mean like "session", "period", or (more limited) "service". My church (and others) in Japan counted their Sunday worship services this way: 一部礼拝 (1st Service)、二部礼拝 (2nd Service)、三部礼拝 (3rd Service)、 etc.

BTW, did it really have ガーラズ for "garage"? It's usually written ガレージ.

Maybe it was actually ガールズバンド? – snailcar May 14 '15 at 21:13
  • It was. I fixed it in the original post. My apologies for the typo. So it looks like the katakana was 'girl band', not 'garage band'. Whoops. – jimbotherisenclown May 14 '15 at 23:53

My best guess with the 部 counter for this would be part one, part two, etc. According to jisho.org, 部 can also mean a "part; component; element" so in this context it would make sense to be Part one: girl band live, Part two: countdown live.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.