Most textbooks note that using か to mark two noun alternatives, the last one can be omitted. However, what about verbs?

Would a textbook sentence such as

今晩の食事はステーキにするか、すしにするかまだ決めていません。

Stay grammatical as

今晩の食事はステーキにするか、すしにするまだ決めていません。

In other words, I've been coming across this single か after verb structure and I wonder if it serves the same disjunctive purpose or if it's something else?

• Not grammatically. Sounds funky, too. To boot, you'd use the か only if you have one.食事はステーキにするかまだ決みていません。 – kiss-o-matic May 14 '15 at 20:32

Most textbooks note that using か to mark two noun alternatives, the last one can be omitted.

You are probably talking about something like this:

ステーキか、すしにします。 / ステーキか、すしを食べます。 (I'll have either steak or sushi.)

However, you cannot omit the second か in a sentence like below, even though か marks two noun alternatives:

ステーキか、すしか(を)、まだ決めていません。(I haven't decided whether I'll have steak or sushi.)
*ステーキか、すし(を)まだ決めていません。

Same goes with verbs; you can say

今晩の食事は、ステーキにするか、すしにします。
(either have steak or have sushi) -- You don't need a 2nd か.
今晩の食事はステーキにするか、すしにするかまだ決めていません。
(whether I'll have steak or have sushi) -- The 2nd か cannot be omitted.

but not

*今晩の食事はステーキにするか、すしにするまだ決めていません。

”今晩の食事は、ステーキにするか、すしにします。 (either have steak or have sushi) -- The 2nd か can be omitted.” Where is the second か? I know exactly what you are talking about but Japanese-learners may not. – l'électeur May 15 '15 at 0:12
  • @l'électeur I thought the second か originally was in 「今晩の食事は、『ステーキにするか、すしにするか』のどちらかにします。」 --> rewrite it as ステーキにするか、すしにします then the 2nd か is gone. – user5185 May 15 '15 at 1:21
  • In the sentence 今週中に、メールを出すか電話をかけるかしますから、待っていてください, what's the difference in nuance between this and when you use ~をかけますから~? – weirdalsuperfan Jun 18 '18 at 5:42

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.