Most textbooks note that using か to mark two noun alternatives, the last one can be omitted. However, what about verbs?

Would a textbook sentence such as

今晩の食事はステーキにするか、すしにするかまだ決めていません。

Stay grammatical as

今晩の食事はステーキにするか、すしにするまだ決めていません。

In other words, I've been coming across this single か after verb structure and I wonder if it serves the same disjunctive purpose or if it's something else?

• Not grammatically. Sounds funky, too. To boot, you'd use the か only if you have one.食事はステーキにするかまだ決みていません。 Commented May 14, 2015 at 20:32

1 Answer 1

Most textbooks note that using か to mark two noun alternatives, the last one can be omitted.

You are probably talking about something like this:

ステーキか、すしにします。 / ステーキか、すしを食べます。 (I'll have either steak or sushi.)

However, you cannot omit the second か in a sentence like below, even though か marks two noun alternatives:

ステーキか、すしか(を)、まだ決めていません。(I haven't decided whether I'll have steak or sushi.)
*ステーキか、すし(を)まだ決めていません。

Same goes with verbs; you can say

今晩の食事は、ステーキにするか、すしにします。
(either have steak or have sushi) -- You don't need a 2nd か.
今晩の食事はステーキにするか、すしにするかまだ決めていません。
(whether I'll have steak or have sushi) -- The 2nd か cannot be omitted.

but not

*今晩の食事はステーキにするか、すしにするまだ決めていません。

”今晩の食事は、ステーキにするか、すしにします。 (either have steak or have sushi) -- The 2nd か can be omitted.” Where is the second か? I know exactly what you are talking about but Japanese-learners may not.
    – user4032
    Commented May 15, 2015 at 0:12
  • @l'électeur I thought the second か originally was in 「今晩の食事は、『ステーキにするか、すしにするか』のどちらかにします。」 --> rewrite it as ステーキにするか、すしにします then the 2nd か is gone.
    – chocolate
    Commented May 15, 2015 at 1:21
  • In the sentence 今週中に、メールを出すか電話をかけるかしますから、待っていてください, what's the difference in nuance between this and when you use ~をかけますから~? Commented Jun 18, 2018 at 5:42

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .