Here's the sentence I'm trying to express in Japanese. "I have changed my life, I've become a cheerful person, all because of him!"

And this is how I would translate it. 僕の人生が変わったのや、明るい人になったのは、全部彼のおかげなんだ!

Am I using the right particles? My intuition says that the sentence is wrong.

• @Blavius "Connect verbs"? The の nominalizes the verb already. – l'électeur May 13 '15 at 22:47
  • Make that an answer if you are confident of what you are saying. – l'électeur May 13 '15 at 23:02

「[僕]{ぼく}の[人生]{じんせい}が[変]{か}わったのや、[明]{あか}るい[人]{ひと}になったのは、[全部彼]{ぜんぶかれ}のおかげなんだ!」

is grammatical and even sounds fairly natural.

The only part that does not quite sound natural is 「明るい」. We would rarely use 「人」 that way to refer to oneself, but again, it is still all grammatical. You could say 「明るくなった」.

Am I using the right particles?

Yes, you are. I would never call anything natural here when there is a particle mistake.

The third-person pronoun 「彼」 is not something we native speakers use often, but I certainly could not say it is wrong to use it.

• Thanks for the quick answer! I always get unsure which particle is right since I've only bothered to learn the very basic grammar. – Chris May 14 '15 at 8:07

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.