Example sentence from プログレッシブ和英中辞典:

彼{かれ}らは騒々{そうぞう}しいことおびただしい They are making a terrible noise [racket].

I don't know if that's 事 or 言, or 殊 (or something else?) so no idea where to even start looking...

• It might help if you provide more context. A lone sentence can be quite hard to decipher. – akj May 13 '15 at 8:29
  • This is an example sentence from a dictionary. I am not looking for sentence meaning (there is a translation provided) but rather the usage of こと here and the grammar behind it. – user9771 May 13 '15 at 8:52
    We don't use much おびただしい besides "large in number" these days. Instead, we say ~ことはなはだしい for the same meaning. – broccoli facemask - cloth May 13 '15 at 11:08

「[連体形]{れんたいけい} of Verb or Adjective + こと + adjective expressing an extreme degree」

is a fairly common set phrase used to describe an unusually large number or high frequency. It is used most often when the speaker has a negative opinion of the fact being described.

「連体形」 means the attributive form. 「こと」 nominalizes the preceding verb or adjective and, at the same time, emphasizes its meaning.

こと = 事, but hiragana is preferred for this usage these days.

| improve this answer | |

I'm fairly sure it's a nominalizer converting the adjective 騒々しい into a noun. In English it would mean "thing" with 騒々しいこと meaning the "noisy thing."

It's not usually written as a kanji, but 事 is the one to pick.

| improve this answer | |
    Why doesn't some form of postposition (が、は、など、 さえ etc etc) follow this noun? Is it colloquial usage where it's skipped? – user9771 May 13 '15 at 8:52
    It is not skipped. It just is not there in the first place. – l'électeur May 13 '15 at 9:02
    「騒々しいこと」 does not mean "noisy thing" in this phrase. – l'électeur May 13 '15 at 9:03
    騒々しいこと is "(their act/state of) being noisy," not 騒々しいもの (="noisy thing"). – naruto May 13 '15 at 9:21
  • Thanks for correcting me. I didn't realize this point before. – Ringil May 13 '15 at 20:55

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.