Example sentence from プログレッシブ和英中辞典:

彼{かれ}らは騒々{そうぞう}しいことおびただしい They are making a terrible noise [racket].

I don't know if that's 事 or 言, or 殊 (or something else?) so no idea where to even start looking...

• It might help if you provide more context. A lone sentence can be quite hard to decipher.
    – akj
    Commented May 13, 2015 at 8:29
  • This is an example sentence from a dictionary. I am not looking for sentence meaning (there is a translation provided) but rather the usage of こと here and the grammar behind it.
    – user9771
    Commented May 13, 2015 at 8:52
    We don't use much おびただしい besides "large in number" these days. Instead, we say ~ことはなはだしい for the same meaning. Commented May 13, 2015 at 11:08

2 Answers 2

「[連体形]{れんたいけい} of Verb or Adjective + こと + adjective expressing an extreme degree」

is a fairly common set phrase used to describe an unusually large number or high frequency. It is used most often when the speaker has a negative opinion of the fact being described.

「連体形」 means the attributive form. 「こと」 nominalizes the preceding verb or adjective and, at the same time, emphasizes its meaning.

こと = 事, but hiragana is preferred for this usage these days.

I'm fairly sure it's a nominalizer converting the adjective 騒々しい into a noun. In English it would mean "thing" with 騒々しいこと meaning the "noisy thing."

It's not usually written as a kanji, but 事 is the one to pick.

Why doesn't some form of postposition (が、は、など、 さえ etc etc) follow this noun? Is it colloquial usage where it's skipped?
    – user9771
    Commented May 13, 2015 at 8:52
    It is not skipped. It just is not there in the first place.
    – user4032
    Commented May 13, 2015 at 9:02
    「騒々しいこと」 does not mean "noisy thing" in this phrase.
    – user4032
    Commented May 13, 2015 at 9:03
    騒々しいこと is "(their act/state of) being noisy," not 騒々しいもの (="noisy thing").
    – naruto
    Commented May 13, 2015 at 9:21
  • Thanks for correcting me. I didn't realize this point before.
    – Ringil
    Commented May 13, 2015 at 20:55

You must log in to answer this question.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged .