I've seen Japanese women address their husbands with the -sama suffix. Would it be appropriate for a man do the same in some cases? In which context can this be used?

• "I've seen Japanese women address their husbands with the -sama suffix" I'm curious, where? I can't deny it happens, but it strikes me as quite unusual. -san is very common, though. – dainichi May 13 '15 at 3:28
    I would have said the most common way I have wives address their husbands is the word あなた, however it would seem like a rare occurrence to use ~様 with someone you knew well unless it was a joke. – The Wandering Coder May 13 '15 at 3:56
  • @dainichi Movie called "Rurouni Kenshin". One girl in this movie constantly called her beloved man -sama. – optim1st May 13 '15 at 7:17
    I see. Just be aware that a lot of historical fiction contains, if not decidedly historically wrong, then heavily stylized language. – dainichi May 13 '15 at 9:00
  • @dainichi Got it. Thank you, I'll be aware. – optim1st May 13 '15 at 9:55

Yes.

~様 is an honorific and can be easily thought of as a more respectful version of ~さん. It is gender neutral, so it can be used by both men and women when addressing either gender.

It is often used when addressing someone of a higher social position, or someone for whom you have high regards. On a day-to-day basis, it's commonly used to address customers.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.