Recently I was told about a popular concept among japanese women concerning choice of the future husband. The concept was called '3 高' - three high points, meaning that a good husband should have: 1) high salary; 2) high social status; 3) and be tall. Later I was told that '3 高' is not valid anymore, as is nowadays replaced by '3 低' - three low points. Could someone please tell what these 3 low points are?

I'm voting to close this question as off-topic because this is more of a cultural question than one related to the language. – istrasci May 10 '15 at 18:48

「[三低]{さんてい}」 consists of:

1.「[低姿勢]{ていしせい}」(low profile):

We now must keep a low profile to be preferred by Japanese women in 21st century. We must be polite, non-swaggering and sincere.

2.「[低依存]{ていいぞん}」(low reliance):

We shall not rely on our female partners for all the household chores.

3.「[低]{てい}リスク」(low risk):

We must choose a career that is relatively stable like that of a government employee, teacher, etc. We must acquire special skills, certifications, etc. that no one can take away from us.

Is there any equivalent concept used by men when choosing a wife? I could imagine several criteria that seem to be important, but I am wondering if there is a commonly used terminology similar to what was discussed above. (I realize this becomes partly a culture question, but since its related to the above topic...) – user3169 May 10 '15 at 17:19

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.