Question from pg. 55 of 新完全マスター:

あさっては大雨【おおあめ】が降【ふ】るそうだよ。ハイキングは来週【らいしゅう】( )。

The choices available are:

a. 行【い】こうとしようよ

b. 行【い】くことにしようよ

c. 行【い】くようになろうよ

According to the textbook, the correct answer is b, though I am confused as to why a is invalid.

As far as I understand, a would translate to something like "let's try to go next week", where as b would translate to "let's decide to go next week".

Both choices seem to make sense, and I am seeking an explanation as to why b is preferable over a, and furthermore, perhaps a more general rule for determining which construct to use.

c, on the other hand, does not make much sense to me, though if there is something I should be aware of (perhaps it makes more sense than I think it does?), I would also like to know.

Any clarification would be appreciated.

Even without any context to go with, only [b. 行くことにしようよ] is correct as a phrase. We would never say [a. 行こうとしようよ] or [c. 行くようになろうよ] in any situation.

The problem with [a. 行こうとしようよ] is that it is double-volitional (行こう & しよう) and it is ungrammatical. It is grammatical to say 「行くとしよう」 or 「行こうとする」 in single-volitional, but not 「行こうとしよう」 in double. Though it is ungrammatical, it sounds a little "better" than [c. 行くようになろうよ].

As far as I understand, a. would translate to something like "let's try to go next week"

Your translation is single-volitional, not double. 「行こうとしようよ」 means something like "Let's try to try going next week.", which is why it is an incorrect answer.

[c. 行くようになろうよ] sounds pretty -- for a lack of words -- "hillarious"; It is ungrammatical and it makes close to no sense. The 「なろうよ」 part is just out of place. One could say 「ともだちになろうよ!」= "Let's become friends!", but not 「行くことになろうよ」.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.