I was taught that you must use the plain form of a verb before から. Recently I've noticed that I will use the ます form of verbs. Most often I'm saying ~がありますから instead of ~があるから。 I feel like it's not right but it comes out so naturally. I'm worried that it seems natural because it's become a habit that no one has ever corrected.

I know that you can use ~ですから to end a sentence, so is ~ますから also grammatically correct?

• Basically, yes. It just makes the sentence more polite. – 永劫回帰 May 5 '15 at 22:56
  • @Lyle Yes, but it's more complicated than "yes" or "no", so hopefully someone will write a more detailed answer :-) – snailcar May 5 '15 at 22:58

No, at least not always.

It is correct to use 「~~ますから」 in stand-alone statements expressing a reason-and-result or cause-and-effect relationship.

「[明日]{あす}また[来]{き}ますから、このパソコンはここに[置]{お}いておきますね。」"I am leaving this PC here because I will come back tomorrow again."

It is NOT correct, however, to use 「~~ますから」 followed by 「です」 in an answer stating a reason/cause to a question asking for such.

Person A:「なんでこういう[音楽]{おんがく}が[好]{す}きなの?」"Why do you like this kinda music?"

Person B:「[心]{こころ}が[落]{お}ち[着]{つ}きますからです。」← Incorrect

Person B should have said 「心が落ち着くからです。」"Because it relaxes me."

• Would be better to say "Yes but" than "No". Specially if the OP is asking about sentences where it is ok to do so. – oldergod May 7 '15 at 1:08
  • So then as long as I don't use together with です, then it is correct? Are there any other situation where I can't use it that I should be aware of? – ku204 May 8 '15 at 23:20

yes ~ますから can also be used as well as ~ですから both mean because

• become both mean ... ? I'm not quite sure what comes after that for your answer. – virmaior May 7 '15 at 4:56

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.