I read in a haiku written by Bashō/芭蕉 (source - see my addendum at the end of the post) :

をちこちに

瀧{たき}の音{おと}聞く{きく}

落{おち}葉{ば}かな

My translation :

From far and near, hearing the sounds of the waterfall(s), ah, the fallen leaves...

My question deals with the word 落{おち}葉{ば}, derived from 落{お}ちる (to drop, to lose) ? I noticed the poet played with the sounds /ochi/ in をちこちに and in 落{おち} 葉{ば}.

Moreover, I know that Classical Japanese words beginning with を have dropped the initial /w/, giving words beginning with /o/, like をんな > おんな.

Hence my questions :

1. In Classical Japanese, did the verb 落{ちる} start with お (おちる) or with を (をちる). Or did the word 落{おち}葉{ば} begin with お (落{おち}葉{ば}) or with を (落{をち}葉{ば}) ?
  2. Is there any online dictionary giving this information ?

Any help would be appreciated !

addendum : I read this haiku for the first time in a French anthology : "Bashō, Cent onze haiku"(=Bashō, 111 haiku), by Joan Titus-Carmel, page 108. Titus-Carmel's translation : "De loin et de près s'entend le bruit des cascades - la chute des feuilles !". The Japanese text given by Titus-Carmel contains the word 落葉. Alas, the author doesn't give any further details about his source : nothing but a simple "the haikus translated in this book are taken from Bashō's works" on the last page.

学研全訳古語辞典 is available online: kobun.weblio.jp/content/%E8%90%BD%E3%81%A4 – snailcar May 5 '15 at 20:08
    Most J-J dictionaries also list historical spellings. In this case お is really just お. That said, by the Edo period, お and を were no longer distinguished in pronunciation. (Both were [wo].) – Zhen Lin May 5 '15 at 22:57
    Hate to be the one to say this, but for the sake of the art I shall Are you sure it is 落葉, and not another word? Furthermore, are you sure the author is actually 芭蕉? Fallen leaves hearing or listening to sounds is not a very Japanese idea if I may add. – l'électeur May 5 '15 at 23:48
  • @l'électeur : I updated my post, giving more details about the text. – suizokukan May 6 '15 at 8:03

I don't know if @l'électeur's comments were rhetorical or otherwise, but I only find the poem as 若葉 (not 落葉) and written by 蕪村 (not 芭蕉). Here's a more reliable reference from 青空文庫

蕪村には直ちに若葉を詠じたるもの十余句あり。皆若葉の趣味を発揮せり。例、

[...]
をちこちに滝の音聞く若葉かな
[...]

It might not be relevant any longer, but the historical spelling for the お in おちる was just お, and not を, as already answered in the comments (e.g. 大辞林: お・ちる (動タ上一) [文] タ上二 ・つ or also in 大辞泉, which is accessible via https://kotobank.jp/).

I updated my post, giving more details about the text. Thank you for the online reference. – suizokukan May 6 '15 at 8:04

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.