In the sentence

user3856370は鬼のおなかの中を、針の刀でちくちくと刺したものだから、鬼はたいへんです。

What is the purpose of ものだ? It seems to me that ...刺したから... (because he stabbed) would work on its own. I could also imagine that ...刺したのだから... might work where the のだ is the explanatory-の thing. But I can't make sense out of the whole ...刺したものだから... construction.

PS. I didn't really stab the ogre but I couldn't find the right kanji for the correct name.

「一寸法師」ちゃう?----- – Chocolate May 3 '15 at 15:59

In meaning, 「ものだから」=「ので」 and the two are interchangeable. Both express a reason or cause.

I would recommend that you learn 「ものだから」 as a unit, but if you have to parse it, it is like this:

「もの」 is a dummy noun. It is needed to connect 「[刺]{さ}した」 and 「だ」grammatically. 

「だ」 is an affirmation auxiliary verb.

「から」 is a conjunctive particle.

Thus, 「[刺]{さ}したものだから」 means the exact same as 「刺したので」 -- "because (someone) stabbed".

Needless to say, 「もだから」 is often pronounced as 「もだから」 in colloquial speech. Additionally, one might also need to know that 「ものだから」 is already fairly informal to begin with. It is definitely more informal than 「ので」.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.